May 10, 2006

Angels Part 2: RJ

The following is a monthly 'special' posting dedicated to some people in my life who have served as angels, providing guidance, support, love, humor, etc.

As a Hall Director it takes some adjustment to get used to a new job. Simultaneously you are getting used to a new staff, a new building, a new home, a new city, a new department, and a new university. I imagine few professionals end up finding their "place" right off the bat of their first professional job. The University of Columbia Missouri has a handful of characteristics that will be near and dear to my heart...but as plans unfolded, it was ok that it was a short stay.

As I transitioned at the beginning of the year, one of my staff members, RJ, has taught me some of my more favorite lessons on supervising. RJ was pretty strong willed when I arrived on staff. He definitely had a vision and focus about what things on staff were going to be like. RJ has a brilliant mind (highly philosophical) and is never afraid for any type of philosophical discussions.

As a supervisor, even one like myself who enjoys the occasional philosophical banter, this can be troubling at times. I remember many long conversations I had with RJ regarding many of the philosophical things we do in Student Affairs, some tied directly to his job, some not. In some cases RJ and I butted heads and definitely could not see eye to eye.

One of my closer moments with RJ came right after I attended MACURH as an Advisor with the University of Missouri delegation. Having been fortunate enough to be able to go to what was 17th conference in a row, it was a treat to be with these delegates. This was also the point in the year where I was starting to formulate and tweak aspects of my supervising style.

When we returned, RJ and I had some really good chats about why I did some things the way I did. At the time we were averaging two hour staff meetings, slightly unexpected from the one hour staff meetings I'd been used. There was much philosophical discussion at some of those meetings, mostly centered around "why do we do this? why do we do that?" What RJ got at that moment was that there are some aspects of the hairball (thank you Gordon MacKenzie) that are just there no matter what...and sometimes you just get them done.

RJ's humility during those months, and another trip to an RA conference at the University of Northern Iowa, taught me a valuable lesson I shared with him later. The supervisor doesn't always know what's right, the leader doesn't always make the best decisions...it was RJ who first taught me how to be patient with the transitions of staff members and their frustrations and passions. It's not always easy to do, and even to this day I would not lay claim to being an expert on it.

One of the other things that RJ learned that year was "it" that ability to see and understand the essence of student affairs. He reflected "it" in all that he did for his Honors community and even his personal life. I saw this rational, logical young man, let his heart overpower any philosophy he had and achieve some truly remarkable things.

I thank RJ for when he reminded me of me and humbled me of me when it was important, a lesson shared both with his kind heart, and potent mind.

pb