February 26, 2006

I Love This Stuff!

This post will be some random musings as I've just returned from the Wisconsin United Residence Hall Association (WURHA) Conference at Marquette University. I do need to say first, Marquette's student leaders did a great job hosting this conference. It was comfortable and quick, elegant and organized. Now, onto some thoughts:

-These conferences, if I haven't stated it before, are a great way for a professional to get re-jacked about what they do. Watching student leaders of all experiences and backgrounds meet each other and make what mostly likely turns out to be long lasting connections warms my heart.

-Huge shout outs to some great individuals I met during some programs I presented (if I mispelled your name I apologize): John, Jason, Adam, Sasha, Katie...and others...all put their best foot forward and shared some pretty amazing things.

-Congrats to UW Stout on receiving the bid to host WURHA next year. At the same time, good effort to UW Green Bay for bidding as well (I believe that this is the first time they bid to host a conference in a long time). To GB, I appreciate and respect the saddness and dissappointment you may be feeling about not getting the bid...we were at that same place last year too with NACURH...keep your head up, regoup, and realize your hard work gave you some great experience (and a great learning step if you ever decide to bid again!).

-Good to see some professional friends Chris, Paul, and Eric and new professional friends making the trek to support their students! Keep up the good work!

-To the UW Oshkosh delegation, you guys rocked! It's always to fun to see you guys bring your own brand of leadership and enthuisam to the table. Especially Melissa as NCC/WCC: you did a good job again making sure these folks were organized and motivated. -I got a chance to meet the real live date doctor. David Coleman, the actual guy who the movie 'Hitch' is based upon, was the keynote. He was fantastic and inspired me to think of a new idea for a speech and/or program. Very funny too. It's nice to see keynotes really be earthy and real while being poignant and forthcoming.

-From a neophyte keynote speaker as myself, I will say that you really appreicate the craft more and more every time you see someone else do it. I overheard David say he does pretty close to 200 gigs a year and he's not looking rusty at all.

I, and I'm sure othes, see these conferences as an oppurtunity for our student leaders to spread hope. And I mean the kind of hope that gives you that spark to try something different, yet continues to flow through you that if something doesn't work, you're willing to try again and grow from what you learned. To all professionals and residence life departments: I know that in this day and age budgets are tight and travel budgets are tighter...but these are the future leaders not only of your profession but others as well. Please do what you can to support these delegates to show without them having to worry about their own collegiately strapped wallets.

pb