March 27, 2006

Life Soundtrack

My friend Ryan, Dave and I were watching Crocodile Dundee 2 this weekend.

(Side Note: I realize that most sequels don't measure up to the original. But this one is pretty fantastic since it moves enough away from the "stranger in a strange land" concept, and puts a solid character, the cool calm Mick Dundee, into a new situation...avoiding some weak looking drug lords.)

Ryan loved the orchestrated background of the movie and wished that he could have that tune follow him wherever he went. He imagined how fantastic it would be to wake up in the morning, hearing triumphant and determined music, beginning your day like a champion.

The comedian Richard Jeni does a bit about that same concept. Music following you wherever you go. These days, thankfully to Steve Jobs, that concept is reality with the amount of folks who own iPods or similar devices.

I've always been a fan of how music inspires you and aids in your creativity or work. I, obviously, have my own specifics I enjoy listening to for certain activities. Wanna clean the apartment? Kick on some 80's hip hop. Need to go work out? Any heavy metal will do. Looking to do some writing? An acoustic guitar is the perfect sound. This all heralds back to the day as kid when I used to put in my brother's mix tape of 80's rap (Doug E. Fresh, Slik Rick, Whodini) while putting legos together.

The inspiration for this article though has come mostly from my father. What you need to know is that in my family we've always been a slight drop behind in upgrading electronics in our house. We got a VCR a couple years after everyone else did. A Nintendo two years later. My parents hadn't even had a CD player until about 6 years ago.

(Side Note 2: both my brother and sister have done a great job adapting technologically with the times...my parents lack of adaptation really has been more of a blessing than a curse since there's never been that hurry up feeling of needing new technology. And yet, I do get chided for not having a cell phone.)

My brother got my dad an MP3 player and radio component last Christmas. Of course there was some trial and error getting him set up and all the music he wanted downloaded properly. On the way to the movies a week ago he did say to me, "You know, I get in my car after work, feeling stressed and tired, I turn on my MP3 player, and within seconds all of the ills of the day have melted away. By the time I get home, I feel like a new man."

I'm inspired by this because my dad's passion for his musical tastes has always been strong. To see an old school rhythm and blues fan enjoy life by listening to the music of his heart is fantastic. To know that one simple thing like an orchestrated score can lift our spirits is powerful. Essentially, my dad, much like Ryan's idea, and Jeni's stand up routine, is making his own soundtrack of life.

So to all those out there who are making their own soundtracks, good for you; I hope that you find the same depth in your musical tastes as my father has in his.

pb