April 23, 2006

Reconnecting

This weekend was a great weekend for some recconections. One of the things about working in college and student affairs specifically is the ability to meet and see people from all different walks of life from all over the country. Tonight I got to reconnect with two friends whom I haven't seen in a while.

My friend Art currently resides in Austrailia. A combination of finding love and working through diplomatic registration landed him there. Art, is an art school teacher. Ironic I know. Art was always one of the few people I knew in my undergrad years who could always see the bright side of life and laugh his way through most tough situations. He was also a dedicated friend who was always available to hang out whenever. No questions, no qualms. It was all about caring for other people and being invested in who they were. He is now married, with a new baby, Conner, who looked aboslutely adorable in Art's wallet photo (ahh, young parenthood).

Art and I got a chance to reconnect for only a few minutes tonight. I also got a chance to run into Art's brother Marty (always sharing a few chuckles himself) and a lady I knew little of but was a treat to talk to, Bethany. Folks that are still around, and making the most of it. Art and I did what you usually do at this stage in your life: share what news you know of other common friends. Having been out of the country, I got a chance to bring Art up to speed on what some of our friends were up to. Art also shared some perspectives from some of our older stories as we were undergrads. That was helpful, considering some other things I've gone through recently.

Soon after this encounter I got a chance to rendevous with my friend Nigel from my radio days as an undergrad. I give big props to my friend Dave who partners with me on Wednesday nights on WRST, our campus radio station. But lots of credit goes to Nigel. I would say that he was truly one of the closest friends I had in the Radio/TV/Film major as an undergrad. Nigel was an expert in the radio booth. As I learned from him many on air techniques and specific style points, I also got a chance to develop my own on air personality. Nigel has been in a band the past few years, making the most of it himself. Here's to hoping he and his band get the Sumemrfest gig.

Him and his friend John were on air tonight for WRST's 40th anniversery celebration. This was particularly cool because we all spent most of that hour sharing stories and listening to old radio shows that we put together. Nigel reminded me one of the joys of college radio is the ability to be professional without taking it massively seriously. College radio is great experience for many people, but it's also raw radio at its best. Nigel was also one of the few people who was ahead of the curve in our major. He reminded me of many of our ideas we had for television (most of which are all fad like and currently popular).

Reconnecting doesn't happen often. However with a lot of the technology and easy communication we can at least anticipate many of these occurances so even if we get a chance to see someone for a few minutes or an hour we can make the most of it. My suggestion to all of you is this: keep a calendar of birthdays, anniverseries, other events, so when you get a chance, you can send an e-mail to an old friend and say "hey thanks for being a part of my life."

And if you do get one of the rare chances to see them, make the most of it. Get up, go see them. I promise that during that time you will definitely remind yourself of some good moments in your life and remember why these people were so important in your life.

pb