April 30, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mother is the coolest. And in honor of her birthday which is coming up here are two of my favorite stories regarding my mother.

During my bad years of elementary school I played basketball. Despite having not hit any physical development stage yet, I still managed to have gangly arms, allowing me to play defense very well. However, my dexterity often challenged my dribbling and shooting skills, thus landing me on the bench for most of the season. Basketball, prevented two challenges for me. One was the physical challenge I mentioned, the other was the added anxiety I felt seething from my teammates (who were also my classmates).

Being the worrier that I was at that point in my life, I was afraid at times to play, since I didn't want to be the one to "screw up" the victory. During our last playoff game of the season, I told the coach I didn't want to go in because my arm was hurting. My poor parents sitting in the stands, seeing the son not play that day...well...let's just say they were a tad upset and worried.

I explained myself on the ride home. I told them that I was afraid of losing the big game. I told them I was afraid of letting down my teammates. And I told my parents I was afraid of letting them down. This sparked my parents to dive into a very deep discussion with my mom adding "Peter, we want what you want, if you want to play basketball, we want that, but if you don't, it's ok, we will not be dissapointed."

That sentimnent actually marked the only time I can remember during the hard days of elementary school where I felt empowered enough to go against the grain (very difficult to do in a tightly scrutinized society of kids who rated your 'worth' based upon your activities). In 6th grade, I didn't play basketball. And I remember it feeling great to break away from the pack and feel ok to not have to do something everyone else did.

The second story fits. When my friend Marc and I were making movies and starting up Kick Butt Productions, and my parents had work to get my stationary, I remember when my mom got me my favorite KBP item in the whole world...my first Kick Butt Productions hat. It was a Christmas gift. I wore that hat with pride for a long time. As it is now 'retired' and sitting in the museum, I look at it and remind myself of how much of a supporter my mother has always been of my dreams.

Thanks mom for inspiring and supporting me to dream, and thanks mom showing me that to be your own person is a good thing. Hope your birthday is fantastic!

I also share this thought since I was reminded this week about how important an influential a loving parent can be to an artist's life (no matter what your art or medium). I attended a fantastic concert by Willy Porter this weekend in Stoughton, Wisconsin (see previous article entitled Passion). During the concert Willy mentioned that he lost his father last week, and that this was his first concert back.

Willy told some great stories about his dad, and honored him with the song "Available Light" by dedicating it to the "hardest working man he knew." As he performed the song, you could hear every once of love and grieving for his father. And feeling his father's presence in the music hall, Willy performed what I would consider his best solo performance ever.

To all parents everywhere who have inspired and supported their kids, thank you for showing them how to dream, and being there for them when they've fallen.

pb