March 21, 2006

Random Thoughts

I started writing what was turning out to be a pretty large post for this week and realized that I was biting off my that I had set out to do. In keeping with trying to think big and do small this week here are some small tidbits of good thoughts:

-My friend Eric who is a teacher at Kaukauna High School in Wisconsin e-mailed me telling me how much he enjoyed reading some of the recent posts about conferences as it reminded him of the good times we had at those conferences. Another cool lady I know, Danielle, reminded me on Saturday that one of things she looks forward to at conferences is the chance to bond with the people from her school. I look back at all the conferences I went to and realized that because of those bonding times I became a lot closer to many friends across campus that I may not have run into (one of the most significant probably being my friend Jim who is an RHD with me currently). So thanks Eric and Danielle for the good thoughts!

-Chris West never ceases to amaze me. If you like basketball at all his blog is one of the best on the planet (his link is on the side). Recently he's been quoted in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. He is a constant reminder that if you're passionate about something, work on it as often as you can, doing small things, and good surprises will be on the way.

-I'd like to thank my friend Adam Jeske for teaching me so much about parenting this year by example. Adam and his wife typically bring their kids Phoebe and Zeke to lunch. Watching their interactions and how Adam will talk to his kids like their adults is impressive. Again another example of someone who does small reinforcing positive learning experiences which make a larger impact. I do often find myself in public places watching parents and kids thinking "What would Adam do if he was here?"

-As it is during the NCAA Tournament I had this glass is half empty thought the other day: Really if I'm a basketball team and I make it to the second round of the tournament, everything else is gravy. If we don't win, at least we've played two games at our first and second round location. If we win (any number of games) we make it to a round that earns a specific title: Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four. That may sound a little saccharine but in the end I'll take it.

-I have to give credit to Danielle on this one: At museum exhibits involving birds (or really any herd or flock of animals) who determines if there should be animal droppings present? And does that person need a Ph.D. to make that decision? And how much is too much animal feces in one exhibit?

-Lastly, I want to thank Paul Wesselmann for his help and kindness on a number of things related to Kick Butt Productions, inspirational speaking, and his passion for student conferences. He's a great person and should be checked out at
www.happyflying.com.

All right, we'll see if any of my larger thoughts come to fruition for next week. Thanks for reading!

pb