February 21, 2006

Humor, a Quickie!

Got a lot of stuff going on this week before heading off to the Wisconsin United Residence Hall Assocation (WURHA) Conference but two moments today reminded the power of humor (as I alluded to slightly in my last post).

I have a new insurance agent. If anyone is looking for a great deal let me know. But the reality is that in this fast paced world of hard selling and smoke/mirrors tactics (especially for a business like insurance) it's refreshing to meet someone who enjoys what they do and does a good job creating a lighter atmosphere for his customers. During our conversation he will throw in a quip or funny comment. Usually this incites a chuckle from me, or sometimes more funny banter. Every once in a while I'll nervously ask a question about something I may be uncomfortable asking about. He'll joke (not about my question but gives a humorous response, alleviate the tension of what I'm asking) and I feel as if I understand his responce better. He also looks like Ray Liotta and sounds like my friend Jefe.

I had a close chat with a longtime associate, but seldomly seen colleague here at UW Oshkosh. Specifically I sought him out since I knew ahead of time that the chances of him throwing out humor while dicussing some heavy personal topics would be likely. And so he did, like a comedian not making fun OF someone, but reflecting on how funny life is in general. Always remember that laughter is the best medicine. Even in the professional workplace a good joke or chortle can always be appreciated.

More next week! Also check back soon as I will be adding a new website for my Future Leaders of Student Affairs (FLSA) initiative.

-pb