February 06, 2006

Good Friday

I apologize in advance for any misleading reference to a pretty important Christian Holiday. This post actually is in reflection of my Friday meeting I had with students and staff of North and South Scott Hall.

Without getting too much into it, I'm currently co-facilitating a commission to look at student leadership for both North and South Scott Hall and what it should look like for the future. I bring this meeting up because it is these moments when I really enjoy and embrace the chance to work with students. We have a total of 7 students on our commission. Although not all were present due to personal conflicts, the five who were there contributed positively. I really appreciate all they had to share.

This moment reminds how often we need to have these types of meetings with students. For those who work in student affairs, it's easy to guess and use anecdotal evidence to try to figure out what students need. Sometimes though, it's inspirational and relieving to hear what the students have to say for themselves. Even if the meeting only yields ideas for little changes and future planning, that's a better start than sitting in your office beating your head against the wall thinking about how to help students out.

As a side note, professionals when you're listening students give feedback it's easy to want to explain and defend some things we do naturally. I say wait, be patient. If they want a justification they'll ask for it. Otherwise soak in the advice or thoughts and find out how to make it work.

For students who participate in these meetings, remember two things: 1. your honest contributions are the best. Don't worry about anyone's reaction or face or response. You're the ones 'in the trenches' seeing what student life is like on a day to day basis. 2. never be discouraged if for some reason you don't see immediate or great change. Sometimes the wheels of bureaucracy and red tape take time to work though.

I thank Joe, Andy, Rene, Renee, and Tracey for inspiring me that day and reminding me that you are a great resource.

pb