June 02, 2007

NACURH Blog, Day 5: Small Steps

It is difficult to pinpoint a highlight or one significant moment during the time I was a National Communications Coordinator (NCC). There's so many fun, personal, sentimental, and empowering moments. I learned that one conference, one meeting, one delegation does not make an NCC. An NCC (like any position in life) must be comfortable with their style. There's not right or wrong, or better ability over any other. It's a journey, and even a year is enough to help learn a lot about what who you are as a leader.

First NACURH as NCC: UW La Crosse, NACURH 1999
-There was this really weird NCC social where I didn't really know what to do. When I tried to converse with someone I remember them asking me if I had any regional pins to sell (I was unaware that regions typically sold pins as a philanthropy project). I said no. Then she turned to her friend and said "I can't believe he doesn't have pins to sell."
-I didn't pick this delegation, I know that in a business (housing) where we typically inherit staffs this is a common occurrence. But I've been on delegations where the NCC hasn't picked the people and they've been familiar. The delegation was actually really fun to be around despite my initial dread.

First Brining Leaders Together as an NCC: Lions Camp September 99
-I was scared to attend this business meeting. Many folks had built up business meetings to be this very intense, must be alert at all times, kinda moment. I thought I'd be lost or really frustrated. I arrived, met Ryan Madison, and soon realized that just by being yourself, and contributing honestly, business meetings can be fun.
-We did a great activity where we picked up pennies and shared thoughts about the weekend. My friends Collin and Joe were there, and I felt a small sense of inspiration watching some of the older leaders share wisdom while younger leaders shared hope. This was the first moment I realized that our WURHA NCCs would be close.

First GLACURH as NCC: GLACURH 99, UW Oshkosh
-Hosting GLACURH at your own school, while being an NCC, while being on the RBD as an emergency RCC, is pretty overwhelming but really cool. The whole weekend was a blur.
-Many NCCs had come up to me and mentioned they respected some of the things that I did. It was nice to hear because I really enjoyed trying to get some new students involved with conferences (and it's a challenge when there's only a small group because everyone else is volunteering or a committee chair).
-Just like Ryan Madison helped transition me into being comfortable in the board room, so did my friend Ken Patricio transition me into the RBD.

First No Frills as NCC: Brock University, January 2000
-There was this hilarious moment where I was making a statement about a new award that GLACURH wanted to introduce. Halfway through my little spiel, I see Tom Nyman and Ryan Madison wave lighters in the air as if it was a hair band concert.
-Again, it was cool to see Jacque and Shane be on the RBD and see the fruits of Jason and Jim's opening conference information to new perspectives.

First WURHA as NCC: UW Milwaukee, February 2000
-This conference had a lot of surprises. Again little things where folks kinda said "thanks, just for being you, and making us laugh."
-UWO got school of the year that year...to me it was an honor of all the hard work that other leaders had done at Oshkosh previously.

First French Dip as NCC: UW Oshkosh, March 2000
-Truth be told, French Dip was a wacky idea which came about because Heather Krull and I were talking and it sounded like we could use a spring meeting.
-That weekend meant more to me because the NCC group from Wisconsin really grew as a family. It was a nice, non-busy moment to say good bye to each other, and help bring in the new leaders. I was sad from not getting into a grad school I wanted, and the group was there for support.

Last NACURH as NCC and a student: UC Boulder, May 2000
-This was a great 'after party' to graduating and wrapping up a year in USRH at UW Oshkosh. It was great to see my friends (Ryan, Ken, Wisc. NCCs) and share in a few last laughs.
-I walked into an NCC social, and someone had thanked me for the time I spent as an NCC.

I realized today, a mixture of busyness and exciting moments, that planing this NACURH is similar. It has peaks and valleys. It has moments where you worry if you're doing enough. Then you see over 2000 cheering delegates, in front of your friends (old and new), in front of your parents...and you hear the national anthems being sung, and you realize...this is what it's about, you just go day to day, week to week, work on all the things you can, then you watch others enjoy the hard work and time you spent.

Thanks NACURH for selecting us this year.

pb

PS I wanted to give another thanks to all the former leaders and staff who showed up tonight whom I worked with over the years. I'm excited to see you all get a chance to share in the dreams of these fantastic leaders.

PPS And thanks mom and dad for supporting me through 10 years and 25 conferences. Even though trying to learn every acronym can be a pain, you always were there for me.