June 01, 2007

NACURH Blog, Day 4: The Spark

This was a long day, and I definitely appreciated the help folks gave me. Additionally, many friends whom I haven't seen in a while arrived today. But it's late, and I'm getting up soon, so this will be short.

While my first two conferences were definitely building blocks to get me familiar and used to all the facets of conferencing, I believe the 3rd, NACURH 1997, Ball State University, Setting the Pace, was the spark that kept me going.

At this conference I was at a crossroads in my life. I think I was figuring out who I was and what I wanted to do with my next step. Here comes NACURH, my first NACURH, didn't know what to expect, and all of a sudden everything got flipped upside down. In a good way.

Between a campus walk I had the night we arrived, getting to hang out with the UW Madison Delegation, sharing some funny stories (and times) with Jim Droste, listening to Jim Cowee's ridiculous cheers, watching Mark Victor Hansen (Chicken Soup for the Soul) speak, and the great van ride there and back, this conference opened my eyes to what was next.

We always hope for that spark in our lives, but never know when it will come. I'm thankful for that conference and the time we had. Even today, as the dust was starting to settle, I realized that in ten years, the spark is still there, even through the work, even through the different life lens I have now.

Interesting Rando Tidbits:
-During our Roll Call practice, there was a move called the 'pelvic thrust.' Might have been taken from Rocky Horror, not sure, but several delegates (used to protect the innocent) turned it into a very funny cheer. So in a weird way, this is the 10th anniversary of the pelvic thrust cheer.

-Megan Link and I actually talked about hosting a UWO NACURH while at Ball State. It was then we realized the big obstacle we had: finding a space large enough for everyone. Ten years later, we're hosting and trying something new with the regional banquets. I hope it works it out, but strange to to think that we were talking about this at that time.

-The phrase, which I use for most programs and speeches, "There's a lot of love in this room" was first written on a black board by Droste while I was about to do my improv and leadership program. Another 10 year anniversary apparently.

Thanks again all to the support, and massive appreciation for anyone who is reading this blog daily.

pb