May 30, 2007

NACURH Blog, Day 2: Firsts

Firsts are really difficult for most everyone on this planet. Oddly enough, there have been a few moments in my life where I've jumped in head first, kersploosh, and learned to tread water or swim. As we were working on stuff today I realized that every year, no matter what kind of wrap up report you get, or how much support you have from many folks, NACURH hosting is something you don't grasp fully until you do it.

Like all first time experiences there are some common themes. Of course, a lot of this dates back, for me, to my next Conference Memory: WURHA 97, Soaring to New Heights at UW Oshkosh.

It was weird for my second conference to be here at home. There were some strangeness with having to move some belongings only a couple of blocks (the travel to conferences is easily one of my favorite aspects no matter how good or bad the travel is). And it was weird to know where everything was on campus to some degree (I've always liked exploring new campuses). But, there's that sort of 'home court advantage' you feel as a delegate knowing that many of your friends and colleagues are around you.

That was most helpful since that conference had two firsts for me.

It was the first time I presented a program. I remember that after GLACURH 96 I was constantly thinking of programs to put on at the next conference. I came up with a leadership program combining improv games and leadership basics. It's funny because I think back to my original hand out...it was this poorly proofread six page packet of block writing and stick figure comics.

5 people showed up to my first program. I remember feeling a little disappointed at first. Since then I've realized that in your first time out with any new initiative, activity, or hobby, you take what you get, and build on it. I must've done something right, because I also received my first Top programming award. Which was cool, but what was cooler was the chance to present the program again. But that would have to wait.

The second first I had conflicted with the Top 5 program session. I was a part of a three person bid team soon after my roommate and then NCC, Jason McKean, handed me a written bid and said "you're presenting...in about three hours." Admittedly, he asked me the day before, but I was going to do it myself (a little over cocky, I thought how hard would it be to go in there and speak about this report). But Jason told me three hours before hand that it would be a lot easier to go in with at least two others.

My friends Art and Latham joined me. It was a quick cram session, some freaking out in a hallway and then we were 'thrown to the wolves' as we presented then got hit with a volley of questions we weren't expecting. I've helped write and plan presentations for close to a dozen bids in my life. But I wouldn't have changed what we did that day.

You see part of what's great about first time experiences is that you DON'T know any better. There's no overanalyzation of what you do, or second guessing. You go from the gut and speak from the heart. That day the three of us had fun. And I'm happy that I got through that bid in my second conference because it taught me so much about conferences, bid writing, and taking risks.

Along the way there's many small things I've looked back at NACURH planning and thought, I wish I would've done that differently. In the end, it's the joy of doing something for the first time. You get the good and the bad. You learn to trust your instincts as much as you trust a process. And you find ways to have fun with it. I'm more than 99% sure I will not be advising another NACURH...but if I did or if I helped plan any future conference, it would not the same. The thrill of taking a risk and having it pay off is huge.

Lastly, we're working with a lot of volunteers, staff members, regular conference staff, many other departments on campus, outside business, schools, delegations, advisors, and I want to say thanks for being patient and understanding at times with what we're going through. We want to put on the best conference for you, and I'm proud of the work the staff has done. But it helps to hear support and empathy from colleagues, schools, and conference partnerships. And it helps to have volunteers who will stick through even through the awkward down times.

pb