October 03, 2006

Angels Part 5: Jim

We had leadership camp here at UW Oshkosh this past weekend. I've probably mentioned camp before but to refresh, we hold our yearly Fall Leadership Camp at an island in the Chain of Lakes in Waupaca. Camp Onaway has held many camps and conferences for years. I've been there for Res Life related things between 95 and 00 and then later 03 to present. The camp brings to mind many memories but even more refreshes my soul.

Traditionally at camp we do skits. This last camp we had a skit involving the phrase "I can read with my eyes shut" and we had to find a creative way to work it in. We also had the dubious challenge of working with almost 20 people in our mixed bag of advisors, LDS, and Dan Beck. Not an easy task. Eventually my colleague Nicole came up with the idea that everyone pick something they can do with their eyes shut. Instantly my friend Jim and I collaborated on the concept of playing Dungeons & Dragons with our eyes shut. Both being long time friends and D&D players our improvisational scene was highly entertaining and very fun to act out. This entertaining moment got me to remember how many other times Jim and I have connected at Camp.

The first camp memory I have of him was when we were sophomores and acting out small scenes to various random music on the boombox. I believe that it was at that point that Jim and I would be forever lumped together as those two guys. Next would the year that I was a CA and had a potential suicidal resident. Jim was there to listen and understood all too well what I was going through. Or the many programs we put on together. Then there are the walks around the island chatting about life. In the end of all these memories reminded me of the many facets Jim has had in my life.

Teacher
Jim taught me many things throughout my life from playing dungeons & dragons, to the intricacies of music, and even some politics here and there. His gift is the ability to explain a concept in front of any audience at any time and get them to understand something new.

Wise Buddha
The concrete stuff is just one piece of his teachings. The wisdom comes next. Despite all that we have ever had in common there are enough (and sometimes obvious) differences that his perspectives have always added to my outlook on life. Again, I know many students who have felt that his presence as a listener and his ability to give advice is neither threatening nor overbearing.

Comedian
Don't let him ever convince you that he's bad at improv. Truth is there's only a handful of people (maybe 8) on this planet who I can be in a room with and start up a scene or dialogue and just run with it. Additionally, he keeps a very open minded sense of humor.

Coach
As a student affairs professional he is the real deal. He is the best professional you could possibly have. He gets what students' need and has found many ways to mentor them on an equal level, encouraging and empowering them to make the best out of situations. He has worked with people whom others would cast away. Finally, he understands what the business is all about and deals with the sticky side of the profession that students don't always see.

Last year will more than likely be my last year at Camp Onaway. Although I'm sad to see those days come I know that they are far away. I know that I have plenty of time left to enjoy the great student leaders here and learn from one of the greatest leaders UW Oshkosh has ever produced...a good friend...the Lando to my Han...my friend Jim.

pb


side note: Big shout outs to the student leaders at UWGB whom I had a chance to present to this past weekend. I thank John, Danielle, and many others whom I met and hope that they are taking the chance to achieve their dreams.