March 01, 2014

Family HIstory

The first time
I meet your family
it's through words

sent not to my ears
but a nurse's

fresh out of school
her hand shaking
because the doctor
informed her about
your diagnosis;

I had a crazy aunt
who had breast implants
not sure why
but I know that when she hugged us
it was rock solid
and kinda hurt
but we were kids so we went with it;

my brother used to steal paperclips
from school
and make a huge chain
that he hung across his ceiling
...no, no, wait, this is medically important...
he poked his eye out and had to wear a patch
after he tried hanging lego men
like members of a weird alien race;

you can ask me anything about my dad
but not my mom
I think there are some issues there
but we haven't talked in some time
and when we do
it's through my dad.

On our second date, weeks ago
you hinted that you wanted me
to meet your parents during the soup/salad
course
then shifted positions
during the dessert
course;

I thought we were over then.




When the nurse pressed
about your mother
it was the first time
in weeks
you squeezed my hand.