October 06, 2013

Wingspan Out the Window

After the nurse asked

Would you like some ice chips?
          for the twentieth time

I grumbled caveman
     and I think she sneered
     her nose edged itself
     into her right eyeball
     lip curled Elvis

but I saw all that

excuse me

"saw" all that
out my eye's distant corner
     the space checked only at
     the DMV
     along with superfluous tests
     of sight, sight, and sight.

                (I fought with those homonyms
                  one night a fortnight ago:
                         sight
                             site
                             cite

                   even googled all three
                           broke google
                           and checked
                           missed connections
                           instead.)

Out my window
was the wingspan
of the Calatrava.

Under the wingspan
     out my window
was the falling rocks
       woman wading in a suitcase
       teapots turned bullets
gallery
       tucked into its own white corner
where you asked
how I felt about being cut
                                        open.


To answer many fortnights later
I accessed a site
about hindsight
and cited the source:

"I imagine
               it'll hurt" (523).

Would you like some ice chips?